SHARE
Policemen are seen on a road near the scene where the terror attacks occurred in Christchurch, New Zealand,

New Zealand has banned the possession and distribution of a manifesto believed to be written by the lone gunman who carried out the March 15 Christchurch mosques carnage where 50 people were killed…reports Asian Lite News

Policemen are seen on a road near the scene where the terror attacks occurred in Christchurch, New Zealand,

The Office of Film and Literature Classification announced that the document is objectionable under the law, reports CNN.

The so-called “manifesto” of Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old Australian charged with the massacre, spans more than 80 pages and is filled with anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim rants.

“There is an important distinction to be made between ‘hate speech,’ which may be rejected by many right-thinking people, but which is legal to express, and this type of publication, which is deliberately constructed to inspire further murder and terrorism,” said New Zealand’s Chief Censor David Shanks. “It crosses the line.”

The document was posted on social media and was sent to the office of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern just before the shooting began.

On Thursday, Shanks called on the public to delete any copies, as well as online posts or links to the document.

People can also report any social media posts, links or websites.

“New Zealanders can all play a part in denying those who exhort hatred, killing and terror,” Shanks said.

“Do not support the murderous objectives of its author by republishing or distributing it.”

Earlier this week, authorities banned footage of the fatal shootings, including edited clips and still images.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here