Australia halts flights from India

April 27, 2021

Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced the decision due to the steep hike in Covid cases in India…reports Asian Lite News

Australia has suspended flights from India in response to the country’s Covid-19 outbreak.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Tuesday that all flights from India to Australia will be halted until May 15 at the earliest, the Xinhua news agency reported.

He said that indirect flights through other cities were suspended by their governments, and repatriation flights run by the Australian government aimed at getting Australian residents and citizens stranded in the country home would resume as soon as possible.

“We don’t think the answer is to just forsake those in India and just shut them off,” Morrison told reporters after a meeting of the National Security Committee.

Marise Payne, the minister for foreign affairs, said that there had been an increase in the number of Australians in India registering to come home with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

“When I spoke to the High Commissioner this morning we touched on this challenge (of people wanting to return),” she said. “They are all over India, literally in every single corner of the country.”

“That does make the process challenging but we will stay in touch with them and provide any support we are able to.”

Australia will send ventilators, masks, goggles, gloves and face shields to India to help the country fight its record-breaking outbreak.

Also read:Australian cricketers may leave IPL early

Previous Story

Coronavirus infects 295 children in Balochistan

Next Story

Islamabad’s bid to expel French envoy fails

Latest from -Top News

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming

EU at Odds Over Gaza

EU foreign ministers in Denmark weighed suspending funding to Israeli start-ups, but the plan lacked majority backing, highlighting the bloc’s struggle for

Trump Blocks Abbas

The U.S. State Department disclosed that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had rescinded the visas of Abbas and 80 other Palestinian officials…reports

Israel Nails Houthi PM

Al-Rahawi was killed on Thursday alongside several ministers during a meeting in southern Sanaa…reports Asian Lite News The Houthis announced on Saturday

Don't Miss