UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay

Unesco condemns TV reporter’s killing in Chad

June 4, 2019

United Nations cultural organisation Unesco chief Audrey Azoulay deplored the killing of television cameraman Obed Nangbatna in Chad last week an attack reportedly staged by Boko Haram jihadists…reports Asian Lite News

UNESCO Director-General Audrey Azoulay

“I condemn the killing of Obed Nangbatna,” she said, urging improved security for reporters who are covering conflicts.

“Journalists covering conflict zones face high risks of injury or death. To improve their safety, it is essential that safety protocols designed for their protection be fully respected,” Azoulay added.

Nangbatna, a reporter for public broadcaster Tele Tchad, was fatally wounded on May 25 when the military convoy he was accompanying hit a landmine. The blast also claimed the lives of four soldiers.

Previous Story

Trump wins ruling in House’s border wall suit

Next Story

Missing AN-32: Search operation resumes in Arunachal

Latest from ASIA NEWS

UN urges investments in Syria

Rebuilding Syria requires not only emergency relief but sustained investment in basic services, economic recovery, and stability, says UN Office in Syria.

Khamenei threatens more strikes

Iran’s supreme leader rebukes Trump’s ‘surrender’ remark, warns of repeat attacks on US bases and Israeli targets. In his first public appearance

Iran Suspends IAEA Cooperation

The decision followed the recent US strikes on three Iranian nuclear sites …reports Asian Lite News The Iranian Parliament on Wednesday overwhelmingly