US plans sanctions against Russia

April 5, 2018

Trump administration to impose fresh sanctions against Russia … reports Asian Lite News.

 (Photo: IANS)

President Donald Trump’s administration is expected to impose additional sanctions against Russia by Friday, according to US officials.

The sanctions are economic and designed to target oligarchs with ties to President Vladimir Putin, the officials told The Washington Post on Wednesday.

However, the final number of Russians facing punitive action remains fluid.

In recent weeks, Trump’s national security advisers have pushed for more sanctions after the poisoning of Sergei Skripal, a former Russian spy in England, interference in the US 2016 elections and a cyber-attack described as the most destructive and costly in history.

On Tuesday night, outgoing national security adviser H.R. McMaster called on the US to take a tougher line against Moscow, saying: “We have failed to impose sufficient costs.”

McMaster’s remark came hours after Trump said in a White House news conference that “nobody has been tougher on Russia than I have”.

Russian officials, meanwhile, have expressed exasperation with the United States. Moscow’s ambassador to the United States, Anatoly Antonov, said the “atmosphere in Washington is poison”.

“It’s a toxic atmosphere,” he told NBC News.

Last week, the US expelled 60 Russian spies and diplomats in response to the poisoning of Skripal and his daughter Yulia, the largest expulsion of Russians in American history, The Washington Post reported.

In early March, the administration also slapped fresh sanctions on Russian government hackers and spy agencies for interfering in the 2016 election and the cyber-attack.

Previous Story

Bollywood meets Cricket: Eros Now sponsors RCB

Next Story

UAE delegation in Moscow

Latest from -Top News

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming

EU at Odds Over Gaza

EU foreign ministers in Denmark weighed suspending funding to Israeli start-ups, but the plan lacked majority backing, highlighting the bloc’s struggle for

Trump Blocks Abbas

The U.S. State Department disclosed that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had rescinded the visas of Abbas and 80 other Palestinian officials…reports

Israel Nails Houthi PM

Al-Rahawi was killed on Thursday alongside several ministers during a meeting in southern Sanaa…reports Asian Lite News The Houthis announced on Saturday