Nipah virus outbreak contained in Kerala: Minister

May 23, 2018

Minister also said two new cases were reported and they were under observation … reports Asian Lite News.

(Photo: IANS)

Kerala Health Minister K.K. Shailaja on Wednesday said that the outbreak of Nipah virus (NiP), which has claimed 10 lives, has been contained and there was no need to panic.

Seventeen people are being treated at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital. The disease has been confined to Kozhikode and Malappuram districts.

But the minister said two new cases of patients with suspected NiP and fever were reported in Kozhikode and they were under observation.

Shailaja told the media here that though the virus had been contained, there was a need be alert.

“The entire expenditure of these patients would be borne by the state and there need not be any panic over bats. The government is awaiting the supply of ribavirin, a drug that’s commonly used for treating similar cases,” she said.

Officials of Kerala’s Animal Husbandry Department and Forest Department during a meeting with the Central team regarding outbreak of Nipah virus (NiP) in Kozhikode. (Photo: IANS)

After presiding over the cabinet meeting, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Wednesday announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of the dead.

“We have also decided to give a government job to the husband of the nurse Lini who died after attending to Nipah virus patients in Perambra in Kozhikode,” he said.

“Their two children will be given Rs 5 lakh each and this can be withdrawn when they turn 18,” a statement issued by Vijayan’s office said.

Transmission of NiV takes place through direct contact with infected bats, pigs or from other NiV-infected persons.

Meanwhile, three teams of health experts deputed by the Centre are working in Kozhikode along with various teams of the state government, officials said.

Previous Story

Pence warns Kim not to ‘play’ Trump

Next Story

Meeting with Kim may be delayed: Trump

Latest from -Top News

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming

EU at Odds Over Gaza

EU foreign ministers in Denmark weighed suspending funding to Israeli start-ups, but the plan lacked majority backing, highlighting the bloc’s struggle for

Trump Blocks Abbas

The U.S. State Department disclosed that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had rescinded the visas of Abbas and 80 other Palestinian officials…reports

Israel Nails Houthi PM

Al-Rahawi was killed on Thursday alongside several ministers during a meeting in southern Sanaa…reports Asian Lite News The Houthis announced on Saturday