G7 voices concerns on Venezuelan election

August 1, 2024

G7 foreign ministers called on “Venezuelan representatives to publish detailed election results in full transparency” and asked “to immediately share all information with the opposition and independent observers,” the statement said…reports Asian Lite News

Group of Seven (G7) foreign ministers approved a declaration on Wednesday voicing solidarity with the Venezuelan people and concern about the announced election results, which sparked protests across the South American nation.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro claimed victory in the country’s elections early this week, but the opposition contested the result and said multiple independent exit polls and quick counts decisively showed its candidate had won.

G7 foreign ministers called on “Venezuelan representatives to publish detailed election results in full transparency” and asked “to immediately share all information with the opposition and independent observers,” the statement said.

“We call for maximum restraint and for a peaceful, democratic and Venezuelan-led solution,” it added.

Italy holds the rotating presidency of the G7 for 2024. The group also includes Germany, France, Britain, Canada, Japan and the United States.

“On the Maduro regime, I have always maintained a firm condemnation since I have held office in European institutions,” said Antonio Tajani, the leader of the centre-right Forza Italia party and a former president of the European Union parliament.

“The announced results do not seem to reflect the real will of the Venezuelan people,” Tajani told lawmakers in the Italian lower house of parliament.

The U.S.-based Carter Center, which observed the vote, has said that the Venezuelan election “did not meet international standards of electoral integrity and cannot be considered democratic.”

Protesters have taken to the streets across Venezuela demanding Maduro acknowledge his defeat, although the electoral authority declared that he had won a third term with 51% of votes.

The opposition, which considers the election body to be in the pocket of a dictatorial government, said its candidate Edmundo Gonzalez had more than twice as many votes as Maduro based on the 90% of vote tallies it had been able to access.

ALSO READ-Venezuela protests intensify over election controversy

Previous Story

Bank of England set for interest rate decision

Next Story

British MPs Forum to promote ties with India

Latest from -Top News

Xi Woos Arab World

For Egypt, the summit carries special significance. Egypt’s accession as an SCO dialogue partner marks a strategic step toward forging more balanced,

More Killings in Gaza

Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported that Israel will stop the airdrop operation of humanitarian aid over Gaza City in the coming

EU at Odds Over Gaza

EU foreign ministers in Denmark weighed suspending funding to Israeli start-ups, but the plan lacked majority backing, highlighting the bloc’s struggle for

Trump Blocks Abbas

The U.S. State Department disclosed that Secretary of State Marco Rubio had rescinded the visas of Abbas and 80 other Palestinian officials…reports

Israel Nails Houthi PM

Al-Rahawi was killed on Thursday alongside several ministers during a meeting in southern Sanaa…reports Asian Lite News The Houthis announced on Saturday

Don't Miss